by Marco Montez
Wine festivals aren't the best place to truly appreciate the virtues of a wine. They are however a great opportunity to get an overall introduction to the wines of a region and its wineries. That's why I recommend the upcoming Wine, Cheese and Chocolate Market organized by the Coastal Wine Trail group of Southeastern New England.
The event takes place this Saturday, June 21st, at the Westport Fairgrounds, 200 Pine Hill Road, Westport, MA. For $25 you will have the opportunity to taste 40 different wines, meet the winemakers and some of the wonderful people that work at our region's wineries.
If you decide to attend (you can purchase your tickets buy visiting this page), I would recommend the following strategy to maximize your experience:
- Arrive early so you have plenty of time to pace yourself.
- Pace yourself! Don't guzzle down everything that goes in your glass.
- Consider tasting lighter wines first (sparkling, white, rose') which also tend to be lower in alcohol and then wines which are heavier on the palate such as red and dessert wines.
- Spit into a spittoon after you taste. If you drink one ounce of 40 different wines, not only will you lose your ability to enjoy most of what you taste, you will be drunk.
- If you feel intoxicated PLEASE DON'T DRIVE.
- When you taste a wine that you think you would enjoy, make note of it, and better yet, buy it!
I will personally be at this event, so stop by our table and say hello.